What You Should Know
Acai is actually a berry that is the fruit of the acai palm. This palm is native to South and Central America. An acai is about as big as a medium sized grape and usually is either dark red or deep purple. Acai berries are a staple food of residents along the Amazon region in Brazil. It is also used in ice cream and even alcoholic drinks. Acai berries are rich in antioxidants but also in fat.
Laboratory testing of freeze dried acai fruit pulp revealed that ╨ for every 100 grams ╨ there are about 52 grams of carbohydrates, eight grams of protein, and roughly 32 grams of fat. Calories for 100 grams of freeze dried acai fruit pulp are about 534. Of the carbohydrate, about 44 grams are fiber. Other ingredients are vitamin C, amino acids, vitamin A, iron, calcium, and polyphenols.
Acai is incorporated in a wide array of products. Some suggest that they are the perfect food from the Amazon rainforest, while others highlight the acai berry╒s antioxidant powers. After the acai berry was highlighted on daytime television, a number of weight loss shakes, supplements, and energy bars containing acai came onto the market.
Depending on the manufacturer, acai berries are mixed with a host of ingredients and either lends a supporting hand in weight loss, or is considered instrumental in the supplement╒s weight loss function. Prices for the supplements vary widely, depending on the manufacturer, the purity of the acai, and also the products in which the berry is used.
- Acai berries are a natural product that has a long history of being used in the diets of various populations in Central and South America.
- The versatility of acai makes it a perfect ingredient in drinks, main dishes, and even desserts.
- Acai berries are documented to be rich in fiber and also provide antioxidants, all of which make them a healthy snack choice.
- Acai berries are not proven to provide any kind of weight loss assistance. They neither suppress appetite nor encourage thermogenesis, and therefore really should not even be lumped among diet aids.
- Even though it is proven that acai berries contain antioxidants, they are not the miracle berry they are made out to be. As a matter of fact, blueberries and cranberries have shown to provide more antioxidants than acai berries.
- Products made with acai are oftentimes overpriced because they are capitalizing on the novelty of the acai and also the daytime television exposure.
The acai berry is mistakenly hailed as a miracle diet aid. Although by all accounts a tasty supplement to ice creams, snacks, dishes, and drinks, it possesses no weight loss benefit on its own. Consumers in search of help with weight reduction will not find it among the acai berries.