What You Should Know
Acai Berry Select is one product in the growing list of diet and weight loss solutions utilizing the newly-popularized Acai berry. Acai berries have been consumed by some South American native tribes as a fruit since ancient times, but only now is its supposed weight-loss ability being exploited. Acai Berry Select combines Acai berries with green tea, another popular item. Green tea is prized for so many things, with weight loss and fat burning not the least among them. With a combination of these two plus some other ingredients, Acai Berry Select launches its foray into the wild and wacky world of diet solutions.
List of Ingredients
The ingredients of Acai Berry Select are Chromium, Green Tea Extract, Caffeine, Acai Berry and L-thiamine.
Note that chromium as used in diet products is a subject of controversy. The effects of chromium on the body are complex, mainly dealing with sugar and lipid metabolism. The hexavalent variant of chromium is mutagenic and hazardous to health, while the trivalent kind is considered generally harmless. In the USA, dietary guidelines set chromium intake at 35 micrograms for males and 25 micrograms for females.
One pill 20 minutes before breakfast, and another at 20 minutes before lunch is the dosage set by Acai Berry Select. A one-month supply goes for almost USD 40, while a six-month supply costs just under USD 160 — significant savings. As a bonus, a downloadable audio track and e-book with weight loss tips and visualizations are offered to those who sign up.
- Acai berry, regardless of whether it actually has weight-loss properties, is healthful because it contains antioxidants, omega fatty acids, vitamins, and fiber are contained within.
- Green tea is a popular and apparently effective weight-loss substance.
- Big savings for those who buy in bulk.
- Not suitable for long-term weight loss.
- Contains caffeine, which can elevate blood pressure and cause headaches and jitteriness. At the very least it will make sleep difficult.
- Some people may be allergic to the ingredients.
- Chromium can interfere with other medications, especially diabetes medications.
Acai Berry Select at first glance looks like nothing more than yet another product capitalizing on a popular sensation. A closer reveals that it is more than that — possibly more dangerous. The role of chromium in the human body is complicated and only very small amounts are needed by the body, so taking supplements with this is not recommended. Caffeine and green tea can also cause side effects in some users, and sleeplessness in almost everyone. True, the manufacturer asks you not to take any pills 5 hours before bedtime, but the side effects can be bothersome at any time of the day. Those taking other medications should be especially wary; as usual, ask your physician before starting any diet or use of diet products.
As a final word, Acai Berry Select contains ingredients that lead to weight loss, but can have adverse effects on the body.